We went 712 miles today, including a side tour to Devil's Tower, and a stop for lunch and browsing in Sheridan, WY.
We're currently in Wall, SD, home of the famous Wall Drug, the world's largest drug store! Since 1931! 5 cent coffee! Free ice water! New Rex! Skinny Saloon! Wall Drug is so big that the lady that checked us into the motel (another Best Western) tonight gave us a map to Wall Drug. Not TO the store, but a map OF the store.
It's 9:30 local time...I didn't intend to drive this far today. I wanted to get at least to Rapid City to maybe spend the night and go down to Mt. Rushmore, but we breezed right by it on the freeway due to lack of signage. Ended up getting gas in some little tiny town with a "GAS" store, right next to the "World's Smallest Biker Bar".
Then we kept on seeing signs for Wall Drug (Someone at work had told me about it, too), so we decided to look for a place here, since Wall, SD has a lot of motels.
So here we are, in our room - going to go to bed soon, I think.
4 comments:
Yes, Mt Rushmore can be tricky to find...On our trip, we drove all the way from Minneapolis through SD into Wyoming in one day...it was a doozey to say the least...only thing that made it possible was leaving at 5:00 am (the earliest we left on the trip)and gaining an hour that day!. We did Wall Drug...loved it!, Mt Rushmore and the Corn Maze that day. Start sending post cards :-0
Whoa! That sounds like one killer trip!
Post cards? This blog is one big post card! Ok, I'll see what I can do. :)
Ugh...Wall Drug. My only memories of the place are of high prices, humid air and obese tourists. Yeah, I hope to never go back. :-P
Hopefully YOU had fun there, though. Hee hee hee...
I wanna post card!
Post a Comment