I dug out the bread machine today, I don't think I've used it in the last 6 years or so. During our weekly meal planning last week, I mentioned to Ray that I'd like to try using it again, so he got me a couple of mixes to use.
Ray is fascinated with the machine...he currently has a flashlight and is looking into the top window on the machine, watching the thing work. He got Chloe into it, and they took turns looking into the little window.
I honestly don't know how it's going to turn out. I misplaced the operating manual, but I used to use it *all* the time the first few years I had it, so I'm hoping I remember correctly. It was really cool to set it on the timer while I was at work, and come home to fresh bread. The loaves always came out a little funny, due to the tall shape, but they were so good fresh with butter.
Lately, I've been using a bread recipe (from scratch, not in the bread machine) from a new cookbook "America's Best Recipes". It has a "sandwich bread" recipe that is really easy, and finishes in 2 hours. That's some good bread. It slices nicely, has a firm texture, and you can use it for sandwiches. I made it quite a few times when I was on my sabbatical, and always think I'm going to bake up some when I get home from work, but have not done so yet.
I haven't made any quick breads lately, but I used to like to make pumpkin and banana bread. When my parents gave me huge zucchinis from their garden, I'd make zucchini bread too. I think I got out of making bread so much because I was trying to lose weight/maintain weight loss. But is it really worth it? I mean...seriously! Fresh bread!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment